How to Choose the Right Massage Therapy School near Jack Alabama
Selecting the right massage therapy school near Jack AL is an important first step to beginning a rewarding first or second career as a massage therapist. After all, who wouldn’t want to work in an occupation where the sole purpose is to help people feel and function better? Massage therapists can work in a wide variety of locations, including hospitals, day spas, health clubs and even aboard cruise ships! But before starting a career in this specialty of holistic healthcare, receiving the proper training and licensing is a must. And keep in mind that not all massage therapy programs are alike. When making your evaluations, it’s important that you look at all aspects of the schools you are considering and not just the cost or convenience of the locations. We will provide some basic tips that you should incorporate into your due diligence process when selecting a massage therapist school.
What is a Massage Therapist?
As mentioned in the introduction, massage therapy is a holistic form of healthcare in Jack AL that helps people feel and function better. The massage therapist manipulates skin, muscles and tissue to reduce stress and relieve tension and pain in their patients. Swedish, or Classic Massage, is the type of massage that most people think of when discussing massage therapy, and most massage therapy schools teach it as their primary form of massage. However, there are many other types of massage that programs may or may not include within their course of instruction. Following are just a few examples.
- Neuromuscular Therapy Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Sports Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
Professionals that work in massage therapy in Jack AL should be referred to as massage therapists. From time to time one may hear them called a masseuse or a masseur, which refers to a female or a male massage practitioner. However, these terms generally carry a negative connotation among the general public and professionals alike and should be avoided.
Massage Therapist Training Requirements
Most schools offering massage therapy require that the enrollee have a high school diploma or its equivalent to qualify. Programs can range in length from several months for a Certificate or a Diploma to as long as two years for an Associate’s Degree. The lengths of the programs will also vary by State based on the number of hours required for licensing. Another factor that may also influence the program length is whether classes are offered in Jack AL during the day or in the evening. Also, an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy may have general education requirements and are often transferable into a related Bachelor’s Degree Program. Once you have received your Certificate or Degree, the education does not end there. The amount and type of continuing education you will need to complete will depend on the State where you are licensed. Some states require both a certain number of hours of continuing education as well as specific education in subjects such as HIPAA compliance or ethics.
Massage Therapist Licensing
Once you have graduated from an accredited massage therapy school, you will then need to become licensed in the State where you will be practicing. The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), is a test controlled and administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) and is required by most States as part of the licensing process. Some States have their own or additional exams, so check with your State prior to enrolling in a massage therapy program. If you do not pass the MBLEx in the first attempt, you can take it again after 30 days but must pay an additional exam fee. Once licensed, you will need to maintain it in most states, which means paying a renewal fee and satisfying renewal requirements. As previously mentioned, renewal typically requires a certain number of hours of continuing education be completed. And if you should move to another State, you will need to get licensed in that new State as well. Every State regulates massage therapy differently, so it is not safe to assume that you will automatically qualify for licensing. Check with your new State before moving to confirm that you meet the requirements to legally practice there.
Questions to Ask Massage Therapist Schools
Before you choose a massage therapy program, there are some important questions that you need to ask about the programs you are considering. As previously mentioned, the location of the school is important, particularly if you will be commuting to classes from Jack AL. And of course the total cost, including tuition, books and all training materials will also be an important factor. But beyond those basic qualifications, following are some questions you should ask so that you have all of the facts before picking a massage therapy degree program.
- Is the School Accredited? Accreditation may be required for licensing as well as student loans or financial aid. It also helps to ensure that the program meets acceptable levels of quality. Some Jack AL employers also prefer job candidates from accredited schools.
- Does their Curriculum Comply with EALP Standards? Entry-Level Analysis Project (EALP) standards were created by an association of massage organizations to define minimum standards for preparing massage school graduates for entry-level professional work.
- What Massage Therapy Programs are Available? Find out if the type of program you are interested in is available, such as an Associate Degree in Massage Therapy. Also, if you need to attend evening classes near Jack AL make sure that they are offered as well.
- What Types of Massage Therapy are Taught? As previously mentioned, most massage therapy schools teach Swedish Massage. However, the better programs include multiple types of massage therapy. Make sure that the program you choose includes those you are most interested in.
- Is Financial Aid Available? To qualify for federal financial aid or a student loan, the school will need to be accredited by a national accrediting organization. Find out from the schools you are considering what they offer in aid or if they assist students in obtaining funding from other sources.
- How Long has the School Existed? One indication that a school provides a quality education is longevity. However, all schools had to start from day one, and many fine schools are relatively new. So use this as one of several qualifications when comparing schools.
- Does the School have a Job Placement Program? Find out if the schools have job placement programs and what their placement rates are. Ask if they assist with such skills as how to interview for a position and how to prepare a resume.
- Is Plenty of Hands-On Training Provided? This includes classroom training as well as placement in internship programs. The best massage therapy schools make sure that students have plenty of time to practice what they learn so they can develop their skills and be corrected when necessary.
- What is the Background of the Faculty? Find out what the experience and credentials are of the teaching faculty. Speaking with schools’ faculty in person can also provide valuable information. Before applying, arrange to take a tour of the school and talk with staff members and students if permissible. Schools may also have Open House events for prospective students.
Enrolling in a Massage Therapy School Near Jack AL?
Perhaps you live near Jack Alabama or will commute to a massage therapist degree program in that area. Either way, you may find the following background information about the location of your new school campus both interesting and informative.
Jack and Jill (2011 film)
Jack and Jill is a 2011 American comedy film directed by Dennis Dugan, written by Steve Koren and Adam Sandler, and starring Sandler (in a dual role), Katie Holmes, and Al Pacino. The plot follows an ad executive, Jack Sadelstein, whose life takes a turn when his annoying twin sister comes to visit for Thanksgiving. The film was released on November 11, 2011 by Columbia Pictures and grossed $149 million against its $79 million budget.
Jack and Jill was panned by critics, and is considered by some to be one of the worst films ever made. At the 32nd Golden Raspberry Awards, the film was nominated for a record of 12 Razzies in all ten categories. It became the first film to sweep the Razzies, "winning" in each category including Worst Picture, Worst Actor and Worst Actress.
Home videos show fraternal twins Jack and Jill Sadelstein growing up in New York City. Jack is the gifted twin, while Jill constantly tries—and fails miserably—to get his attention by injuring him or driving others away from him. In present-day Los Angeles, Jack is a successful advertising executive who lives with his wife Erin and their two kids Sofia and Gary, a Hindu child they adopted at birth. Jill never left the working-class neighborhood they grew up in; she recently inherited the Sadelstein home, having lived with their mother until her death a year ago.
Select the Right Massage Therapy Program near Jack AL
Good luck as you embark on your journey to begin a career as a professional massage therapist. As with all things worth achieving, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed. You originally came to this website because of your interest in Massage Therapy School Online. However, by following the suggestions contained within this article, you will have an excellent opportunity for success by enrolling in the right massage therapy degree program. And with the right education you will soon become a professional massage therapist servicing the Jack Alabama area.
More Therapeutic Locations in Alabama
Bing: Alabama Massage Therapy Schools Search results
AMTA | American Massage Therapy Association
Massage therapy has numerous benefits for many health conditions. Explore the massage/health connection and see how you can help your clients with a variety of medical challenges. ... Schools. Discover the tools and resources you need to strengthen your school, broaden your reach and set your faculty and students up for success. New Benefit ...
Contraindications & Areas of Caution for Massage Therapy - Study.com
While massage therapy can be beneficial, precautions may be needed for patients with medical conditions. ... for Teachers for Schools for Working Scholars ... Alabama Prometric CNA Test: Practice ...
Colleges with Physical Therapy Majors - Study.com
Ivy Tech Community College offers an Associate of Science in Physical Therapy Assistant. Students take courses in anatomy and physiology, kinesiology, and the principles and procedures of physical therapy, among others. The school also has transfer partnerships available for students who wish to earn a bachelor's degree. Clarkson College
Best Occupational Therapy Degree Colleges in the U.S. - Universities.com
Discover the best occupational therapy degree colleges in the U.S. on Universities.com. Get the latest on degrees, college, and scholarship opportunities straight to your inbox. ... Physical Therapy/Therapist Schools; Massage Therapy/Therapeutic Massage Schools; Occupational Therapy/Therapist Schools; Physical Therapy Technician/Assistant Schools;
Locations - Paul Mitchell Schools
Want to become a cosmetologist, barber, esthetician, or nail tech? Learn from the best at Paul Mitchell Schools Learn more and find a school near you!